The Workspace is comprised of three sections:
- on the left is a component listing
- in the center is the canvas where components are added and arranged
- to the right are the properties associated with the selected component or dashboard
The user menu displays your user name in the top right. Here you can pick a theme, timezone, log level and the base language for the dashboard: English, German or Japanese.
The Dashboard Builder theme is independent of the dashboard style. Pick the dashboard theme from the dashboard’s Style menu.
Add components by click-and-drag into the workspace, e.g. Data Grid.
Arrange and resize components on the central canvas by dragging the resize handles on the edges.
A simple dashboard
Selecting a dashboard component displays its properties on the right.
A new Data Grid, with its properties displayed
Properties vary from component to component, but almost all have a Data Source
Search for a property within a selected component
- A name for the dashboard
- The URL for sharing access to the dashboard. (The link is not editable. Clicking on it will open the dashboard in a new browser tab.)
- Enable "Share Dashboard"
- Adds a share icon to generate a link which stores the viewed states (e.g. pivot drill down position) which can be shared with others.
- Unsaved Viewer Prompt
When checked, user will be prompted on any unsaved changes before switching to another dashboard.
- Fill height
- When checked, the dashboard fills the height of the browser. (Dashboards always fill the browser width.)
If Fill Height is disabled, Row Count becomes Row Height; Row Height is the height, in pixels, between each grid row. The number of grid rows used is defined by the prior Row Count value; e.g. if Row Count is 30 and Row Height is set to 30; then the distance from top to bottom - in the absence of Fill Height is 900 pixels. If the pixel height is greater than the browser height, a scroll bar will appear. In addition, some components may be positioned off-screen.
Save your dashboard frequently
This can be done from the header menu; a blue marker notifies you of unsaved changes. Use the Export feature, available from a long-click save, to create an .json backup of your dashboard.
- Column Count
- Row Count / Row Height
- See Layout Panel for further details
- Dashboard Theme
- Theme Switchable
- Sets Light or Dark theme for dashboard and define if theme can be switched. This should be disabled (theme-locked) if the dashboard uses custom styling which would not update on global theme switch.
- Widgets Spacing
- Widget Shadow
- Define distance in pixels between components and add optional shadow
- Border Size
- Border Color
- Border Rounding
- Border Spacing
- Define border criteria of components
- Show Loading Indicators
- When checked, indicates when dashboard is loading data. If your dashboard uses streaming, managed or polling data, leave this unchecked
Style for common style properties
Create a popup then edit to add content into the popup element
- Assign a boolean viewstate. The viewstate can be triggered by an Action. If no view state assigned and box checked, popup will appear when the dashboard loads.
- Dialog Title
- Header name of popup
- Dialog Height
- Dialog Width
- Dimension area of popup in pixels.
- Make Popup modal
- Allow user resizing of popup window.
- Notification messages, e.g. a failed login attempt, will appear on screen.
- In Browser
When enabled, notification will be forced to display in the browser, location set by Position. Native notifications will trigger when disabled.
- Location of notification message, select from:
- Max Count
- Maximum number of messages displayed at once
- FadeOut (s)
- Length of time in seconds notification remains on screen
- Select from
noneif an icon is required as part of the notification
- Select from
noneif an aural notification is required
- Enable Group Notifications for notifications to be grouped as a single message within an interval defined by Grouping Interval defined in seconds.
- Defines the conditions for the trigger. The data source has to use streaming, managed or polling data
- Notification Template
- This determines the information displayed in the notification popup
- What sound to associate with the defined trigger
- What icon to associate with defined trigger
Configure browser to allow popups
For popups to appear in the browser it may be necessary to change browser settings to allow popups in addition to building the required configurations in your dashboard.
Permissions are granted to groups of users, as defined in Kx Control.
Read Access is permission to view the dashboard; Write Access is permission to edit it.
|Set screen as default on dashboard load|
|Take snapshot image of screen: used by Navigation Component tooltip|
Shows relationships between data sources and view states for the underlying dashboard
Components with a common Data Source can be linked so that changes to one are reflected in the other.
A set of buttons are found to the right of the dashboard dropdown selector in the header bar:
|Share Dashboard Link; available in quickview|
|Export as PDF|
To export a dashboard as a JSON file, long click on the
Long click on the to reverse actions beyond the most recent event.
Dashboard Manager is available from the Dashboard Dropdown:
Clicking the will open the Manage menu.
Select a dashboard, then choose from:
- Opens a Dashboard for editing
- View on web
- Opens the quickview (end-user) Link listed in Basics dashboard properties.
- Deletes selected dashboard
Importing and exporting dashboards
Dashboards can be exported and imported in JSON format.
Export and Import buttons. Selecting a dashboard will activate the Export button
Imported dashboards appear in the Dashboard Builder‘s dropdown list:
Import XML dashboards
Some dashboards may be in XML format. This format dashboard can be imported, but all exported dashboards are in JSON format.
Duplicate a dashboard
Creating a duplicate of the currently viewed dashboard can be done from the New dashboard menu; click
Dashboards support keyboard shortcuts
|Ctrl + C||Copy component|
|Ctrl + V||Paste component|
|Ctrl + O||Open manage dashboard dialog|
|Ctrl + S||Save dashboard|
|Ctrl + X||Cut component|
|Ctrl + Z||Undo feature|
|Ctrl + Y||Redo feature|
|F1||Show help documentation for selected component|
This is for Dashboards component developers, who will need the Software Development Kit and documentation of the API; contact your First Derivatives representative for more information.