Drop Down List
A Drop Down List used with a Bubble Chart
- Data Source
Create a data source with the content of the dropdown menu; using a data source will automatically populate the dropdown, just ensure the data source has values in the correct format and type to pass into the linked Selected Value View State Parameter. An optional text column can be included for value display names.
A query for a Drop Down List data source
A sample query to use is (if connecting to the sample data connection source
htmlevalcongroupavailable in the sample demo dashboard set):
q select distinct sector from TradeData
- Selected Value
The view state parameter populated by the dropdown selection.
The label next to the dropdown
- Accept Empty Values
When checked, an available null value is added to the selection
A dropdown with an empty-value option
Null value must be part of available data
When enabled, ensure the data column supplying the dropdown menu contains a null value. This will not add a null value if not already available.
- Force Selected Value
When checked, the dropdown will populate a Selected Value View State Parameter with either the defined default or selected value. This ensures any associated queries dependent on the dropdown input will have a value assigned to the View State Parameter.
Limited by available selection in dropdown
Should the dropdown View State Parameter be used by another user input, e.g. Text Input, the View State Parameter will use the most recent, viable value. If an outside range value is set in a Text Input, the dropdown View State Parameter will show the last selected value BUT the View State Parameter will update to the (now) outside range value, which may break any query using the associated View State Parameter
When checked, multiple selections can be made from the dropdown list and the selected items passed to the Selected Value View State Parameter.
- Show Search
When checked, includes a search box for filtering results
- Advanced Search
- Supports wildcard searches, along with
ORand for removing items from search,
- Horizontal alignment of items within the list
- Vertical alignment of items within the list
- Text description to appear when user mouses over the dropdown
- Label Width
Pixel width of menu and dropdown Label. If the Label is wider than Label Width, it will wrap.
- Field Summary Threshold
- How many items will be shown in the input field before changing to summary; e.g. 3 of 20 when value of
- Tooltip Summary Threshold
- How many items will be shown in the tooltip before changing to summary; e.g. 10 of 20 when value of
- 'Select All' Value
- This is the value assigned to the Selected Value viewstate when all items are selected in the dropdown; in the absence of an all-select, each individual selected item will be listed in the Selected Value viewstate. The default value is
Data Source Mapping
When a Data Source is used to populate the Drop Down List, the items of the Data Source will automatically be assigned. For separate labels and values, use Data Source Mapping.
- The column of the Data Source corresponding to the values to be passed into the Selected Value View State Parameter
- The column of the Data Source corresponding to the text to be displayed as the dropdown options
If Data Source is not used to populate a Drop Down List, individual values can be specified in the Items menu.
Style for common settings
- Advanced CSS
- Advanced CSS